Author Topic: Is it true that honey does not expire?  (Read 1499 times)

Rasel Ali

• Administrator
  • Trust Your Strength It Will take U Toward Success
    • View Profile
    • Daffodil Hospital
Is it true that honey does not expire?
« on: November 08, 2022, 07:17:35 PM »
Is it true that honey does not expire? So if I eat my grandma's honey from 70 years ago, I won't get sick?

Honey is actually the only food recognized as having an eternal shelf life. In fact, archaeologists in Egypt have uncovered perfectly sealed, perfectly preserved, jars of honey sealed in pyramids and crypts.

The reason honey is thought to last forever is because it’s high acidity and low water content is not conducive to the growth of microorganisms. Molasses shares these traits, though, and it does have an expiration date… so what makes honey last so long?

It’s because of the bees!

To make honey bees process nectar from flowers in their own tiny little stomachs, where the nectar is broken down into different chemicals, one of which being hydrogen peroxide which keeps honey sterile and fresh.

Even though honey has an impressively long shelf life, it will crystallize over time, which can be fixed with the gentle application of heat.

Now, all of this being said I should point out that if honey is not properly sealed it will absorb moisture, which will eventually throw off its composition and lead to microorganism growth. If your grandmother’s honey was sealed properly for 70 years, it should be just as good as the day it was bottled.

Source: https://www.quora.com
« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 07:21:41 PM by Rasel Ali »
BR
Rasel Ali